Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Little did I know...

When I used to think about being pregnant and what it would be like, I used to think about puking. I mean, isn't that what all the movies, TV shows, and books highlight as the misery of being pregnant? Are there very many that don't have that iconic image of puking over a toilet bowl during the 1st trimester stuck in their heads?

Well, I can say that I was very lucky dodging that bullet. While I did have nausea, I only threw up a little one time in an idiotic attempt at brushing the back of my tongue (I'm not sure what I was thinking there).

Forget throwing up! What they should be focusing on and stressing is how freaking tired you are all. the. time. And it isn't just a tad sleepy, but sheer exhaustion. I can honestly say that I didn't even know the meaning of fatigue or exhaustion before being pregnant. It is pure torture trying to teach 3rd graders all day when all I can think about is taking my coat, curling up in the corner and sleeping. I nap on my breaks and I nap at lunch, but they are just short enough to not be satisfying. Then when I get home I take a 3 hour nap, wake up for 2 or 3 hours and then go to bed for the night.

Sleep has become my heroin and I never feel quite satisfied. And what makes me really angry is when people say that they didn't think the fatigue was "that bad" when they were pregnant (or some variation of that). Well, talk to me about your stupid morning sickness and I can tell you that I didn't think that that was "that bad!"

Sooooooo they say that the 2nd trimester is the honeymoon phase of pregnancy. It is when all of your energy returns and you feel fantastic. I'm almost convinced that this is a myth. I'm well into my 2nd trimester and I haven't gotten back ANY of my energy!

My biggest fear is that it never will return and I'm forgetting to remember what it feels like to not feel tired.

1 comment: