Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Big Ultrasound and 19 Week Update

Before we get to the weekly update, I've been meaning to post about the big ultrasound! I had been putting it off until I got the pictures uploaded, but momma has to take them to work to scan them in so you will all just have to wait on those!

Anyway, so every now and again on the 2nd Trimester Bump board a girl posts that they were unable to tell the sex b/c the baby had its legs crossed. This doesn't actually happen often so it wasn't something that I was too concerned about going into our appointment. I mean, seriously, what are the chances that our baby would have its legs crossed at the very moment we were trying to get a look at its goods?

Apparently, those chances were pretty darn good! We go in, all excited, and then when she goes to check the sex we hear those words "Oh, I can't see anything b/c the baby's legs are crossed." We were in there for a good 45 minutes, and she tried pushing and jiggling my belly around to get the baby to uncross them, but to no avail!

I couldn't believe it! I just couldn't believe it! I'm an impatient little biotch, I really didn't want to have to wait until the baby was born to find out! This is the point where I would have stomped my foot, whined, and demanded that my spawn cooperate, if I didn't know how to behave myself in public (and my feet weren't up in stir-ups).

Anyway, it was a no go and I had to be getting on to my Ob appointment with the Dr. The U/S Tech, bless her heart, was so nice and said that she would wait around until after my appointment to see if the baby had moved. She was giving us another chance!!!

So, we went to see the Dr. and while waiting for her I was jumping around and poking at my stomach like a crazy person. Besides my "Wake the Baby Up" shenanigans, the appointment was pretty uneventful. She just measured my belly, weighed me, took blood pressure, etc. And then 25 minutes later we found ourselves back with the U/S tech praying for just a peek between the kid's legs. She was mashing the side of my stomach into my hip bone she was trying so hard to get a look. It HURT! But I didn't say a peep about it, b/c I was too afraid she wouldn't get a good look! And...

We got one!!!! Whoa, talk about relief! We have a very modest little boy! So, we high-tailed it to Old Navy to pick up a few little boy things to surprise the family with at dinner (which we were running late for at that point!)

My hip still hurts, but it was so worth it to get to see our little boy! We're SO excited!




Vernix caseosa, a greasy white substance made of lanugo, oil and dead skin cells (yum) now coats baby's skin, shielding him from the amniotic fluid. (Picture yourself after a nine-month bath, and the need for protection makes sense.) You might actually get to see the vernix at birth, especially if baby is premature.


How far along? 19 weeks!


Weight Loss/Gain? I didn't weigh myself this morning, but at the Dr. appt. I was 2 pounds below my starting weight.


Maternity Clothes? Though I can still fit in my jeans, they are beginning to feel really uncomfortable. I should really start wearing the maternity jeans.


Stretch Marks? Still no new ones, but the tips of the old ones are pink and have spread a little. Mom says they are there to protect the baby. LOL


Sleep? I'm not sleeping as comfortably. Besides having to pee several times a night, I toss and turn a lot trying to get comfortable.


Best moment this week? Finding out we are having a BOY! When we left the office, Grant said "YESSSS!!! He was wanting it to be a boy very badly.


Food cravings? I can't get enough fruit.


Gender: Boy!


Labor signs? Thankfully, no.


Belly button, in or out? Still and innie


What I miss? Not being so cranky and anxious.


What am I looking forward to? Feeling the baby for the first time


Weekly wisdom? You don't always have to listen to other people's wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment